Air barrier systems help separate the outside environment from the desired interior environment. Ultimately, a continuous air barrier helps eliminate uncontrolled air leakage and allows control over temperature, humidity, moisture and air quality throughout the building. With a properly installed air barrier system, your company can improve its building’s performance and reduce heating and cooling costs by as much as 36%, according to the US Department of Energy.
The selection and placement of air barrier assemblies are based on several factors of building science, including exterior climate, the direction of airflow and structural design. Air barrier products may take several forms:
- Self-adhered membranes, which are typically also a water-resistant barrier and a vapor barrier
- Fluid-applied membranes, such as coatings including polymeric based and asphaltic based materials
- Closed-cell medium density spray-applied polyurethane foam, which typically provides insulation as well
- Some open-cell spray-applied polyurethane foam that is of high density
- Boardstock, which includes 12 mm plywood or OSB, 25 mm extruded polystyrene, etc.
Your Construction Partner
Let Taylor Interiors, LLC help you create a drier more energy-efficient business. Contact us today at 980-207-3160 for help finding the right air barrier for your wall construction.